Dental bridge work consists of a series of artificial tooth crowns joined together as one piece. The crown in the center replaces the missing tooth, the crowns on either end fit over the natural teeth on each side of the gap. They provide a firm support for the whole bridge. Bridge work is a natural looking method of tooth replacement that can last for years, but it too has some disadvantages.
For one thing, potentially healthy teeth on either side of the gap must be ground down to fit inside the crowns of the bridge work. The extra stress is placed on these support teeth can cause them to weaken over time. They also have an increased chance of developing tooth decay, root canal problems or gum disease. Getting bridge work isn’t cheap either and 10-years is considered a good life span for a dental bridge.
What Is A Porcelain Bridge?
A porcelain bridge is a treatment option for replacing a missing tooth. Atlanta Dental Spa takes great pride in producing bridges that look great, look natural, and are highly functional. We won’t accept anything less than the best in replacing a lost tooth or teeth.
If for any reason you have lost a tooth or teeth which has resulted in a gap between your remaining teeth, you are likely a candidate for a bridge. Your other options are dental implant replacements, or removable partial dentures. When you schedule a consultation with Atlanta Dental Spa we will review each of these options with you to find out which is the best treatment for you.
Advantages of Porcelain Bridges
- They look great!
- Atlanta Dental Spa bridges look, feel & function like natural teeth!
- Porcelain bridges do not have the ugly gray line at the gumline that you see with metal bridges
- Your porcelain bridge will last many years, as long as you’re taking care of your teeth properly.
Disadvantages of Porcelain Bridges
- The teeth on either side of the missing tooth or teeth must be prepared for a restoration
- All of the teeth in the dental bridge are connected, so flossing is more difficult
- If one tooth on the bridge has a problem, the whole bridge must be replaced
- Because porcelain bridges are involve multiple teeth they typically cost several times more than a basic one-tooth crown.